You take me one step closer to Paradise

…You give me one more reason to carry on.

Oh hello dear reader, shall we begin?


What progression has been made since I last spoke of this project?

Ah Yes, the presentation board for the BBC presentation on the 6th of December. when I last spoke I had said that the mood board was almost complete, this was prior to showing it to Richard, I wanted to get his opinion of the layout that I had come up with….his comments were humorous. Richard was the layout and immediately started to freak out over the framing of my work (#1 pet peeve of his: Boarders…or is it bags on desks?) but other than that I think he was pretty happy with the standard that I had already present on the pages, from this I went back and simplified my presentation boards.

I believe that the most difficult part of the project at this time was not the work itself but doing it all in time, with the field module coming to an end and having an essay to write I found this to be the most difficult thing I have done in university so far. With a lot of coffee consumed and little to no sleep had, things were being completed..the first mood board, the CAD and then the other three boards.

This board summarises my research and the inspiration for my design
The concept stage of the project through my sketches + The my table design (Left)

The detailing of dimensions and a look at the ‘Y’ mechanism (Top Left)
An exploded view.
The in-situ board. 

I am rather pleased with the outcome of these presentation boards, I believe that they convey my design well and the thinking that has gone behind every component. The trouble I found with this design was whilst creating the scale model, in particular the legs of this on earth could I make two identical legs with this shape?

I hate to say it, but it had to be 3D printed.

Being fully aware of the opinions of Richard on 3D Printing I decided that it’d be the only way that I could replicate the design with great accuracy…this leads on to more development as in total five components had to be 3D Printed for my model to actually showcase how it would move, It was in my opinion that a working model is better than one that does not, it allows for you to interact more and look at the possibilities that design has.

The 1:5 Scale Model in all its glory.


I believe that my presentation on the Tuesday went pretty well, I spoke about the key points of my design and where I began with the research then developed into my own design. The feedback I received from Richard and Paul was very constructive and I plan to work on the points that were raised:

  • The scale model leaned forward a little bit, more detail into the models is needed.
  • I was incorrect on the manufacturing process for the aluminium legs, I said die cast, Paul said that sand casting would be a lot cheaper to do.
  • The A1 in-situ board had too many small images and it was difficult to see from a distance, it was advised that I increase the size of the images next time.
  • The idea of having the aluminium legs with the flat blocked surface and back was a little confusing for Paul so I could take a look into curving the surfaces.

What happens now?

Well..we now enter the Christmas break, we will receive an email in around a week or so with our feedback on the project and in the new year we will find out if our designs will be put forward for the competition. Do I still not care about doing the competition? I would have to say that my mind has been changed on whether I would like for my design to be put forward or not, I think that from all of the long days and sleepless nights if I were to be chosen to develop my design further I think I would happily do so. I think that now I have the majority of the work done in terms of research it would not be too difficult to focus on the development of the design, this is all hypothetical and of course I am not too confident that my design will actually be considered, I just dont think it will be.

What has been learnt from this project?

The first thing that comes to mind is sketch development, I seem to always reference back to the first year and the project with Dr. Steven Thompson, this project really did it for me in terms of getting over the fear of messing up a sketch or starting a new page. If you take a look at my design thinking page that was presented the sketches are very rough but they work well together to show a plethora of development sketches. I have finally said goodbye to the pencil, it has been difficult for me to say goodbye to a tool that has helped me develop to where I am today but it seems the right time for me to continue on using fine liners only.

For the A1 in-situ boards I found it relatively easy to Photoshop my table into the different environments shown, I believe that due to my experience within photography at A-Levels I have had somewhat of an advantage over my peers. I am hoping that I will be able to further improve my skills for the next project so my products become more realistic within environments.

What is next?

This is unknown, we have not had any conversations about the brief or projects that will be running in the second term but I am looking forward to taking what I have learnt from this into the project. I believe that it will be easy for me to begin work at a fast pace next term as I have found scheduling to be the best way of getting through work in the most efficient way. I am hoping that with the Field and Subject projects being in five week sections my work should improve as I will have more time to focus on the one project rather than what happened this term where I had to juggle focusing on the two projects and not really fully exploring what could have been done but instead just trying to complete what was asked.


%d bloggers like this: