UP & UP

Quite an interesting few days have past.

 

Following a very successful and enlightening meeting with Theo, I am now able to further refine the process for this project. The formative presentation is on the 13th of December, this will see me either pass or fail. Luckily, I feel as though my project is going rather well so I am rather confident with what will take place.

 

A few key points that were taken from the meeting:

– Spiked shell model had a great response: Perhaps more elongated and severe.

– The themes: Mechanical, Chemical and Social.

Mechanical: Physically protects the crab from a predatory attack

Chemical: Protects the crab from chemical warfare from the Naticidae (Naticidarius) (Moonsnail).

Social: Enhances the chances of the crab finding a mate, or enhances its ‘macho’ persona with other hermit crabs.

 

Now

I was contacted by the dental department where I was able to begin scanning the shells that I had cut previously. I was able to learn a bit about the software that is used for normally scanning teeth, this was quite interesting as I was also able to have a conversation with Chet, a lecturer from the dental department. Whilst observing a demonstration about the scanning process I overheard their being a design problem with the method of transferring crowns to be fired in the kilns, a potential project for the field project coming up in January.

Thanks Jeff and Chet.

 

Unfortunately, the results from the scanning did not go as well as I had hoped, it seemed there are a few limitations to using the machines, one being the blind spots that are not visible to the scanner, this causing significant holes in the shells. Ironic.

I feel as though it was important for me to test potential ways of gaining the files, trial and error if you will. It does not matter to me that this scanning has not worked fully, I have found that looking at the process from other perspectives such as dental, to be very influential in the way I look at doing things.

Dentists are designers after all.

 

Some imagery from the scanning process:

_DSC0750.JPG
The shell on the scanner, held with Blu-Tack. Classic.

The scanned shells in the software of choice, Mesh Mixer.

The images below show pink areas along the shell, this signals faces that were not picked up.

Untitled.1
The circled sections highlight the errors on the scan. pt 1.
Untitled
The circled sections highlight the errors on the scan. pt 2.

 

Moving forward, I am currently working on finalizing the three themes of shells. I am also looking into the contents of the shells when sold for human consumption, I have a short list of products that are in contention but I hope to have a longer list by the time I present my work.

Whilst speaking to Theo the idea for creating sacks for the products was changed, a new perspective whilst discussing ideas always refines an idea to its simplest form, this is what happened when the product sack was discussed.

A few things to do next week:

  • Prototyping: Product Seals, Alternate production methods.
  • Product Finalization: Digital + In Situ Renderings, Knowing the context of use.
  • Continuation of Presentation: Imagery, Research and Knowledge of.

 

Until Next Time,

C

 

 

%d bloggers like this: